Saturday 23 January 2010

Naughty, naughty!

Oops! I said I would update my blog daily and nothing for a week! I will blame the fact that I have been busy at work. Actually, after trying to find my blog in search engines I have discovered that it might take weeks before my blog appears in any of them! So, if you're reading this because I have provided my blog URL in a discussion forum thanks for looking me up. Pls pass it on! x

Anyway, as I have mentioned, I have just started seeking help for my OCD. While I wait for my psychologist appointment I am going it alone and putting into practise CBT I have found in a book called "Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" by David Veale and RObin Willson. It explains how OCD works and how you can effectively overcome it. I am a "checker" which means that I am compulsed to check things are switched off, shut, locked etc. before leaving the house and before bed at night. The aim, very basically, is to fight the compulsion each time - more complicated than it sounds. Believe me this is a lot easier said than done as other sufferers will understand. It used to take me 30 to 40 mins to lock up the house each morning before work. It now varies from between 10 to 15!! I am very pleased. In fact on Friday (when I really was on a mission to do well after taking ages the previous day) I did it in eight mins - EIGHT!! It varies a lot depending on my level of anxiety. I am not yet sure if I'm off out today (there is a Vivienne Westwood handbag calling in Selfridges!) - wonder if I can do it in eight again?! We'll see.

Bye for now. x

No comments:

Post a Comment